“I love being homeschooled.” Those words make it all worthwhile.
~ Barb, WRA mom, Colorado USA
We love seeing our West River Academy families thrive! No matter what educational journey you are on, we want to see you and your children happy, healthy, and loving their freedom! .
This year we completed our third year of Classical Conversations, supplemented by a variety of curricula, activities, and events. We are enjoying our time together and making changes in teach methods as we work together.
The goals we have for our home(school):
- Encourage Isaac to be at or above grade level.
- Help Isaac maintain a love of learning.
The values we have in our home(school):
- Kindness above all else
- Protect and care for those who need it (younger children, animals, elders)
- Grow an awareness that he can do anything he wants or needs to do if he is willing to work hard.
- Have integrity; do what is right whether it is easy or not.
Field Trips This Year:
- History Reenactment
- School of Mines Geology Museum
- History Museum of Golden
- Denver Zoo
- Denver Aquarium
- Denver Capital
- Denver Museum of Nature and Science
- Longmont Humane Society
- Garden of the Gods
- Denver Art Museum
- Denver Library
- Jim Hamm Nature Preserve
- Butterfly Pavilion
- Chick hatching at the public library
We have been playing a lot of board games (Isaac is great at Chess), doing legos together, reading aloud, archery, walks, hikes, bike rides. We have a mini-farm (guinea pigs, 3 cats, 1 dog, 3 fish, 3 hermit crabs) that Isaac helps care for.
We are very proud of Isaac for many reasons, but some highlights included:
- Caring for the younger children at the Classical Conversations after-care program. Isaac was never asked to help the younger children, but he could be counted on to look out for them. He played with them, helped them get snacks, drinks, etc, and hugged them when they were sad.
- Several times this year Isaac has stood up for other kids who were being hurt by others or who were just sad. He also has started standing up more for himself with bossy or rude peers.
- Standing up for animals when some peers were joking about doing cruel things to animals
- Persevering with the things that are hard for him, such as handwriting.
Read more on their personal blog! https://isaacloveslearning.wordpress.com